Friday, February 20, 2009

Friday Review

It's been another good week. Here's a quick recap:

Research

Continued work on the open publishing project. It is something I enjoy and feel passionate about. I found a presentation made last week on the subject--looks great. We were able to get a few more people to participate in the survey and some exciting trends are starting to emerge.

Distance

I spent a lot of time this week looking at different possibilities for my research project. It has been a little frustrating because I spent several hours walking down one road, doing interviews, etc. but was starting to feel like that wasn't going to get me where I want to be. Now I've been looking at how self-directed learners participate in online courses and this seems to have some interest for me. It is the kind of thing I can see myself doing in a couple of years (creating a course like the one I'm studying) and so I think the research will have some practical meaning for me. I'm excited about the direction I'm going.

Open

Worked more on a draft of a paper I am submitting next week. I think I made some good headway, but there is polishing still to do!

Assessment

I'm in the thick of 3 projects, one is an interpretative exercise, a second is doing an item analysis on a test, and the third is revising said test. It is fun and a meeting with Dr. Davies today gave me the direction I need to go forward.

Stats and Research

Our first test is this next week and so I've been going back and trying to consolidate the learning that I've gained. It is fun to see the statistics/research angles come together. Also, I made the suggested changes to the IRB and hope that it is approved so that I can get the next phase of research going.

No comments: