Friday, February 6, 2009

Distance Research Project

I am still in the process of refining my distance research project. With the help of Charles Graham I have refined my research questions to be:

Research Questions

1. What online technologies do Religious Education Faculty use to facilitate learning?
2. Why do they use it?
3. How do they most effectively use it?
4. Are there any issues that are unique to online technologies and religious education? (e.g. not just concerned with knowledge acquisition but the spiritual edifying of students).
5. In what ways do Religious Education Faculty members consider “openness” (publishing resources for a wider audience) as part of their teaching stewardship?


I have completed three interviews with faculty members and so far I think they have gone well. I have certainly learned from hearing their perspectives. When you hang out in distance learning and open education courses your perspective tends to get a little skewed. Below is a rough transcript of one of the interviews, I've made some slight changes to protect confidentiality. If you have any bright ideas as I pursue this inquiry, please feel free to share them.


Q. What online technologies do you use to facilitate learning?

A. Mostly Blackboard. I give tests on blackboard, papers, PowerPoints, web links, assignments appear and are submitted on Blackboard.
I think that with a BYU TV output, and then respond through something like Blackboard you would be very close to really having the world as your campus.

Q. Why do you use these technologies?

A. Saves time, less paper, Makes it easier for students to see their grades.
Electronic interaction is so good that it eliminates confusion on the part of students—fewer emails from students, fewer students stopping by.

Q. How do you use these technologies to maximize their effectiveness?

A. I teach off of Blackboard –accesses the PowerPoint via BBoard. Modeling how to use Bboard.
We have to do a better job at the adult teaching level for motivating learning. We assume that adults want to learn but that isn’t really true in the classroom. You as the teacher has the responsibility to make the classroom fun and interesting and motivational to learn. Need to find ways to motivate people to learn. University level students need motivational online teaching strategies—we have to get better at these things.

Q. Are there online technologies you have considered using but chose not to? If so, why?
I have considered taking media that I didn't want to take class time to show and put it on BlackBoard. There is lots of good media that could be developed so that students could watch it on their own in Blackboard.
Time/availability/cost are things that have prevented him from doing these things.

Q. Are there any issues that you have considered regarding online technologies and religious education?

A. I’m sure there is some truth to the idea that distance makes it harder to edify, but it hasn’t bothered the Brethren to take GC out there. But GC is only spiritually interactive. There is a difference between preaching and teaching, but I think you could have a pretty good package if you could have the interactivity where someone could participate in class long distance. All we really need is one student or TA who can take questions from a student in the Philippines. Not taking it live might reduce participation.

Q. In what ways (if any) do you consider “openness” (publishing resources for a wider audience) as part of your teaching stewardship?

If you had a BYU ID you could be still sign up for blackboard in a BYU course. The main obstacle to publishing things on iTunes, etc. is the amount of time I have available. If I had enough student TAs I could teach the world.



7. Any ideas of how else I should talk with?

No comments: