Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday Review

It's been another great week! Here's the wrapup of what I have been learning.

Research

Made some good headway on a paper regarding the effects of open publishing. Uncovered a great finding comparing two of Larry Lessig's books; hope to share more about that soon. Got the website http://freeldsbooks.com running-still room to improve it. I had thought it might be my only way to study open book publishing in the LDS market, but it also appeared this week that other possibilities may emerge.

Distance Learning

We had a fun field trip (see this post). With some help from Charles I submitted an IRB proposal to do the research I described last week. I have received some feedback on the proposal and just need to make a few changes to it. I will be doing this next week.

Open Ed

We've been working on a proposal to take to the CTL to have new creations at the walk-in center receive a CC license. After two "working classes" the CTL now has a form that they are ready to use. It will be an interesting experiment to determine how many professors choose to sign the form.

Assessment

One interesting thing I did this week that was related to the course, but not an assignment was to meet with one a religion professor and talk with him about his philosophy on testing. It is very different than most. His main theme was that our assessment should match that of God's. E.g. God's tests are primarily open-book. He doesn't grade on a curve. He wants everyone to succeed. It was very interesting to learn from his insights.

Statistics and Research

I know it sounds crazy, but I am really enjoying the textbook in this class. I finished chapter 5 about 9:00 PM one night and wanted to just keep on reading (I did)! This is some of the nuts and bolts of research and I'm enjoying it.

2 comments:

scott said...

I believe that educational material should be free but would not go to the extent that all books be free. Research papers and articles that are published from individuals at Universities should be freely available to the public. I believe there are a lot of logistics that keep this from happening (due to Universities rules etc). I recall my University saying that they owned the rights to submitted work, regardless of type (homework etc.)

I think it's a great idea, but believe that many people/universities would like to turn a profit for their work.

John Hilton III said...

I also agree that not _all_ books should be free. In some cases, e.g. books published by academic presses, it may make sense, but certainly not in all cases. Books that are out-of-print or have extremely low sales (the majority of books published) are also good candidates for open publishing.