Friday, March 20, 2009

Friday Review

Here it is another Friday Review...Things are really heating up now and I am very hopeful that the last four weeks of this semester will bring a sweet fruition. Here's the roundup of what I've been up to:

Research

Starting to work on an article about Flat World Knowledge. It's an exciting opportunity to look at a unique way of approaching the high costs of textbook. We got into some data this week and I'm continuing to build the paper.

Distance

We had a great class this week. As I mentioned to Charles today though probably even greater is the interactions and personal mentoring I am having with him and Peter. For example today we spent an hour discussing the paper I'm working on and how it could be improved. Charles had a great idea about using a framework in terms of openness that I'm excited to explore. I also had an hour long discussion about IRB proposal I have in this class. Doing the IRB and working to really publish it has been an important part of the learning process for me.

Open Education

Good news--the author of a great Personal Finance Website is willing to consider licensing the content with a CC license and making some sort of effort to join an OCW consortium. Working to set content free makes me feel like a freedom fighter or something.

Stats

Made some good intellectual progress this week as I reread portion of the textbook. Also sitting down and punching out numbers on SPSS solidified my understanding. I am one week away from finishing my data collection and I'm excited about moving that research line forward.

Assessment

Studied my brains out and took a test. I felt really good about this test. We'll see how it turns out.

No comments: