Friday, April 10, 2009

Friday Review

Greetings friends for the second-to-last Friday Review.

First, allow me to congratulate my friend and colleague SaraJoy Pond on her first place win in BYU's Social Venture Competition. Way to go SaraJoy!

It's been a good week. Here's the recap:

Research

I got to present about how authors perceive the implications of free digital book distribution. That was good. Also continued to work on the FWK paper and got to attend a scholarly communications meeting. That is where I heard that the University of Michigan Press is going purely digital.

Distance

Chugging away on the research paper. I feel pretty good about where it is heading. There is still more work to do. One of the interesting questions to wrestle with (and I don't think I'll solve it this semester) is "For the "average" user of OER, how much is content-learner interaction valued versus learner-learner and teacher-learner interactions?

Open

Together with Jared Stein and Aaron Johnson we're working on a paper to articulate the 4 Rs and ALMS analyses. I'm excited about it!

Stats and Research

After several hours I finally pulled together the research paper I've been working on. I'll give the report on it next week. The short version is that the grading metrics of religion classes at BYU do affect the quantity and motvations of students scripture study, but do not affect how they perceive the spiritual strength they gain from the study.

Assessment

I critiqued an interesting article about rejection and self-regulation. All assignments are in, and it's onto the final!

No comments: