Friday, January 23, 2009

Friday Review

This Friday review will be brief--but I can't stop a habit when I've just started it! Insights from this week:

Distance Ed: The conversational theory has lots of good insights both for distance education and instructional design in general. Try to think of teaching as having a conversation--what things are interesting in conversation? How does one have an interesting conversation (hint--it's not just from one person talking!)

Open Ed: I enjoyed the card game that we played and the Creative Commons quest really helped solidify my understanding of these different licenses. I am working to apply what I have learned by securing a CC license for a book I have published.

Stats/Research: I worked on an IRB proposal and am encouraged about the idea of measuring how students perceive their scripture study and how much they read and seeing if there is any correlation between this and grading structures in their religion classes. We also had some great readings and discussion about writing and publishing papers.

Assessment: Having a test in this class did lots of things for me. First, it helped me really focus my learning and stuff some fact into my brain. Second, it gave me a lot more sympathy for my students who have to take tests. Third, it made me question the validity of testing in general and think more deeply about the outcomes I am trying to help my students achieve and what sorts of assessment measures could promote that learning.

Other: I worked on a book review of Disrupting Class. As I thought about disruptive innovations I feel that within the intersection of my studies and publishing that is room to target nonconsumers in important ways.

There's more to say...but not now!

No comments: