Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Three Cups of Tea: Book Review

Three Cups of Tea
By Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin


I read this book hoping to be inspired as I was when I read Mountains Upon Mountains. In truth, I liked Mountains better; however Three Cups of Tea was still good. I won’t summarize the plot, visiting their website will give you the basic idea of it.

One thing that I found particularly interesting was that in 1993 Greg Mortenson was just a regular guy. He didn’t have a Bachelor’s degree, he wasn’t rich; he didn’t even know how to use a computer! But he had a determination to fulfill a promise he made to build schools in Pakistan.

Comparing the resources I have now with what Greg had in 1993, it seems that I certainly could (and should) make a bigger difference in the world.

I confess being troubled somewhat at the price Greg had to pay in leaving his family so often. It seems that his wife was cool with it though, and that is the most important thing.

My favorite part—the pictures that are included in the book. After reading about Mouzafer Ali, Haji Ali, and Jahan to see their pictures brought tears to my eyes as I realized once again how very similar the peoples of the world are.

No comments: