Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A little bit about me

I like to know people's names, and why they were given those names.

My full name is John Levi Hilton III, obviously after my father and grandfather. My grandfather received his first name from his paternal grandfather (John Hugh Hilton) and his middle name from his maternal grandfather (Levi Mathers Savage). That family heritage is important to me.

I hope to learn your name and why you were named it.

My life revolves around my family and my religion. My wife Lani and I met during our undergrad years at BYU, and we have been married for 8 years. We have four children, ages 7, 5, 3 and 1. Some pictures can be viewed at our family website, http://thehiltonfamily.org/ (sadly it is 8 months outdated).

Professionally, I am a "religious educator," in various facets of that phrase. Some of my published works can be accessed at http://johnhiltoniii.com/ (also outdated).

I am beginning this blog as an assignment for IP&T 692. I'm taking this class because I use few "Web 2.0" tools, and want to learn how using them could assist in sharing religious content, and more specifically, improving open-access religious education classes.

4 comments:

SaraJoy said...

My name is SaraJoy. [Technically, it has a space, because Sara is my first name and Joy is my middle name...but I've written it this way since I was a little girl]
I was named Sara because my dad didn't like the name Erin [which is the English equivalent of Eire, the Celtic word for Ireland where all but one of my great-great-grandparents come from] But Sara means "princess" so I am okay with not being Erin.
The joy part came because I was born 2 weeks before Christmas and my mom got through the better part of labor by singing Christmas carols--specifically, "Joy to the World"
When I'm not SaraJoy, for some as yet inexplicable reason, I am almost always called "Stephanie." Wierd, eh?

opencontent said...

My name is David Arnim Wiley, II - obviously after my father. =) He was named David after the prophet David O. McKay (for whom the McKay School of Education is named), and named Arnim after my grandfather (Paris Arnim Wiley).

All my male children also have prophet names - David Enoch (two prophet names!), John, and Lorenzo. Each of my children also has an Asian name, either Japanese (after the area where my wife and I both served our missions) or Chinese (my wife is half-Chinese), including Sung, Megumi, Mei-Lien, Chuujun, and Chung-Chien. This is to remind them of their spiritual and genealogical heritage.

Anonymous said...

My name (Nina with a long I sound) was the name of an actress that my mother liked during her teen-aged years (1930s).

Can you recall any actress with that first name??

Me neither. I'm probably doomed to the same popularity fate as she . . .

Levi and Arika said...

Hey wierd, my name is Levi Hilton named after my ancestors too! Infact they are the same ones as yours! Lol, always good to meet a cousin